top of page
Wed, Jun 07|
CALM - Counseling on Access to Lethal Means - FREE TRAINING
Reducing access to lethal means, such as firearms and medication, can determine whether a person at risk for suicide lives or dies. This course is about how to reduce access to the methods people use to kill themselves. It covers who needs lethal means counseling and how to work with people at risk
Registration is closedSee other events
Time & Location
Jun 07, 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
About the event
This is a course about how to keep people safe at a specific point in their lives and does not support any political position on gun ownership.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Explain that reducing access to lethal means is an evidence-based strategy for suicide prevention.
- Explain how reducing access to lethal means can prevent suicide.
- Identify people for whom lethal means counseling is appropriate.
- Describe strategies for raising the topic of lethal means, and feel more comfortable and competent applying these strategies.
- Advise people on specific off-site and in-home secure storage options for firearms and strategies to limit access to dangerous medications.
- Work with your clients and their families to develop a specific plan to reduce access to lethal means and follow up on the plan over time.
This course is for anyone who may work with people at risk for suicide, such as health care providers, social service professionals, firearms dealers, gun range operators, pharmacy employees, etc.
bottom of page